Skip navigation links

ABLE Program

Before committing to the Aid for Advanced Baccalaureate Learning Experience Program (ABLE), we want you to understand your funding options. You should apply for federal and institutional aid (see below) but you may also need to look to private loans, savings, and family assistance to fund your expenses for the program. This is especially important for non-resident applicants as the estimated maximum eligibility in federal loans and CHM stipend support typically does not fully cover the full costs of the program (tuition/fee, book, and living costs). Therefore, as a non-resident you should contact our office to review your options to cover remaining expenses with private loans if you don’t have savings or family assistance.

The funds listed below are only available when you are officially registered as a full-time student. You will need to cover costs associated with summer sessions as ABLE students typically are not registered for any classes during those time periods.

Feel free to contact the OFAMED team regarding your financial aid questions or concerns at It is important to plan your funding options carefully so you are not caught by surprise when the bills arrive.

Apply for financial aid

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and release the results to MSU (our school code is 002290).

The ABLE program is considered an undergraduate program (it is not a graduate or professional program), so you must answer “NO” to the dependency question “Are you enrolled in a graduate/profession program?” during this time. If you are unable to answer “YES” to one of the other dependency questions on the FAFSA, you will be considered a dependent student for aid purposes and must include your parental income and asset information for aid consideration.

Financial aid options

If an ABLE student has not already reached their undergraduate aggregate loan limits, they may be able to receive federal loans under a provision that allows loans for one 12-month period for the completion of preparatory course. Dependent students would be limited to $5,500 in Direct Student Loan funds for the year. Their parents can also take out a PLUS loan. Independent students and dependent students whose parents have been denied a PLUS loan can receive up to $12,500, with no more than $5,500 of it being subsidized. ABLE students are not eligible for any other federal or state aid programs but may be eligible for institutional funds through the College of Human Medicine.