MSU is required to verify the data you supplied on your FAFSA (Federal Application for Federal Student Aid) in cases where your application is selected for verification, typically through random selection by the federal government.
If we need to verify your application, you will receive a notification in your student portal explaining what additional information is needed.
It is important to note that you should not send us documents unless we have specifically requested them. Unsolicited documentation may cause a delay in the processing of your financial aid.
Documentation that we request
The following information will be requested if you are selected for verification.
- If you were required to provide information on the FAFSA, complete the form provided in your portal.
For Tax Filers
- Option 1: Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA
Log into fafsa.gov and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. This will automatically transfer income information from the IRS to the FAFSA. It will also send a message to MSU informing us that you have used the tool and that the information is accurate so there is no need to order the paper transcript!
- Option 2: Order a Tax Transcript from the IRS and upload using the link in your student portal.
For instructions on how to order an IRS Tax Transcript, visit www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. Please note that you will need to select "Tax Return Transcript"; do not select the "Tax Account Transcript" option.
- Option 3: Upload a signed copy of the IRS 1040 Tax Return with Schedules 1, 2, and 3 in your student portal.
For Non-Tax Filers
- Option 1: Order a Verification of Non-Filing (VONF) Letter and upload it in your student portal.
This option is required for parents and independent students who did not and will not file a tax return. For instructions on how to order a Verification of Non-Filing Letter, visit https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript and click on "Get Transcript Online" or "Get Transcript By Mail" and select "Verification of Non-Filing Letter" once the option is available.
- Option 2: Submit a signed Non-Filer Statement in your student portal certifying that the individual (1) attempted to obtain the VNF from the IRS or other tax authorities and was unable to obtain the required documentation (2) and has not filed and is not required to file a tax return.
If you are a non-filer but have any earnings, upload your W-2(s) in the student portal.
Your aid is preliminary until our review is complete
Preliminary awards are estimates based upon the data we received from you on the FAFSA and are designed to give you the best available data at the time to assist you in budgeting for the school year.
We will review your FAFSA data once you have sent us all of the requested documentation. If necessary, we will correct your FAFSA and recalculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your financial aid may change as a result of this review. If aid has already been paid to you, it may be billed back. If your aid changes, we will notify you via an email to your MSU account.
Avoid verification by submitting an error-free FAFSA
See Studentaid.gov's 10 FAFSA Mistakes to Avoid for more information.