Skip navigation links

Veterans' Educational Benefits

U.S. military veterans may be eligible for various benefits through the GI Bill®. See the Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information. Please note that the College of Law does not currently participate in the Yellow Ribbon program but plans to post-integration (expected late summer 2020). We expect students to receive Yellow Ribbon School benefits effective the Fall 2020 semester, conditioned upon integration occurring on schedule.

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available for MGIB-Active Duty and Selected Reserve. For more information, please contact the VA Direct Deposit Center at 1-877-838-2778 or speak with an Education Case Manager at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551). You can also visit the WAVE application website to sign up for direct deposit using the direct deposit form. Direct Deposit is not currently available for Chapter 35 recipients

Dropping a Course If you drop a course during the semester/term, the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester/course. If dropping classes changes your enrollment status, an overpayment situation may occur. All drops are reported to the VA by the Office of Financial Aid.

Self Verification of Enrollment Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 recipients must complete a Student Verification of Enrollment on the last day of the month or the first day for the previous month. You will need to sign on the WAVE system to complete verification.

For more information about veterans' benefits at MSU College of Law and to request certification, contact Financial Aid, at ofalaw@msu.eduor 517-353-2401.

For services including educational/vocational counseling for veterans and eligible dependents contact the Ingham County Veterans Affairs Office, 5303 S. Cedar, Lansing, 887-4331.

You may also find information for Michigan veterans, including the MINGSTAP program, at the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.

MSU also has a set of resources for students who are veterans to support you before, during and after your studies. Need to activate your benefits? Review Applying for Benefits.

Please consult with the Office of Financial Aid to determine how any tuition-specific scholarship award received from the College of Law will impact your benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at