Teaching Internships

How do I apply for aid?

Apply for aid by submitting the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

When do I apply for financial aid?

Always apply as soon as possible by using the online FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is available online and may be completed beginning on Oct. 1 before the award year for which you're applying. For example, the FAFSA for the 2023-24 award year may be completed beginning Oct. 1, 2022.

School Year FAFSA Available On Tax Year Information To Use
Fall 2021 through Summer 2022 October 1, 2020 2019
Fall 2022 through Summer 2023 October 1, 2021 2020
Fall 2023 through Summer 2024 October 1, 2022 2022

What questions do I have to watch for on the FAFSA?

  • Question No. 28 asks if you'll have a bachelor's degree before you begin the 2023-24 school year. Answer yes to this question even if you have courses to take in the summer.
  • Question No. 29 asks what your grade level will be when you begin the 2023-24 school year. You should answer first-year graduate/professional or beyond (code 6) since the internship is considered a professional program.
  • Question No. 30 asks for the type of degree/certificate you’ll be working towards during 2023-24. You will use code 7 for teaching credential program.
  • Question No. 47 asks if you'll be working on a master’s or doctorate program. Answer yes since you’re working on a degree beyond a bachelor's degree (grad/professional program) in 2023-24. The internship makes you independent for aid purposes.
  • The institutional code for Michigan State University is 002290.

Who should apply for financial aid for the internship year?

Everyone. As a professional student in the Teacher Certification Program, you’re considered independent for the purpose of receiving financial aid. This means you don’t have to report your parents' income on your financial aid application.

Note: If you’re admitted to the Post B.A. Program as a second-degree student, you may have to report parental income and asset information until you complete the second degree and move into your internship year. You should also review Step 3 of the FAFSA to determine if you qualify for independent student status based on other criteria.

Does this mean that my parents can't claim me on their income tax?

Your parents should follow IRS regulations to determine if you can be claimed as an exemption for tax purposes. Your aid eligibility is based on your enrollment in a professional program, not on whether your parents claim you on their federal tax return.

When do I find out if I’ve been awarded a financial aid package?

You'll receive an award notice in late May if you filed the FAFSA soon after October 1. However, if you’re still considered an undergraduate at that time, your financial aid may be incorrect. Expect a revised award based on your new status of Graduate Certification after the Office of Financial Aid receives notice that you have graduated with a bachelor's degree.

What kinds of financial aid are available?

What about the grants I received as an undergraduate?

Because MSU's teaching certification program is designed as a graduate/professional program, students are not eligible for undergraduate aid, including the Pell Grant.

What about scholarships?

See our scholarships and scholarship search pages for help locating scholarships.

The College of Education also offers scholarships.

What if I need more money than I am awarded?

Sometimes special circumstances, such as supporting a child, can be taken into account to increase the budget allowed to you. Also, alternative loans at higher interest rates are available if necessary.

The financial aid calculations make the assumption that your income during the internship year will be approximately the same as during the previous year.

Do I have to take the whole package I’m awarded?

No. You can choose to accept an amount that best suits your needs.

When do I have to start repaying the loans?

Repayment begins six months after you complete the teacher certification program unless you have already used your grace period. Payment of current loans is deferred during the internship year.

Where can I get information about teaching service cancellation and deferment options?

StudentAid.gov describes how you may cancel or defer your student loans by teaching in a low-income or subject-matter shortage area. These options may be available to you if you have a Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan or the Paul Douglas Teacher Scholarship.


If you have questions about graduate student aid please email ofagrad@msu.edu for assistance.