Satisfactory Academic Progress

Monitoring satisfactory progress

Per federal law, the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) must monitor Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for all financial aid recipients. The following are types of monitoring performed by Michigan State University:

Expand all SAP types | Collapse all SAP types

Time Limit/Maximum Credits

First baccalaureate degree students are allowed to earn 150% of the required number of credits to earn a degree.  Most undergraduate degrees require 120 credits.  Therefore, a student enrolling in a semester after earning their 180th credit is no longer considered to be making Satisfactory Progress toward the degree. The 180 credit total includes all MSU assessed credits. (Assessed credits are defined as credits you are enrolled in at the end of the official drop and add period, even if you drop those credits later.)

Agriculture Technology and Veterinary Technology Certificates require 60 credits, so the 150% limit is 90 credits for these students.

Transfer credits are also counted in the total, whether or not MSU has accepted them toward the degree and whether or not you received aid for them.

Repeated, remedial, and incomplete credits count as assessed credits.  Even though a repeated course will count only once toward your academic requirements and your GPA, each repeat is assessed separately and thus counts separately for aid purposes.  See also how financial aid pays for repeated credits.

Students are also monitored for degree completion. Once you have successfully completed your degree requirements, you are not eligible for further aid.

Second undergraduate degree students are limited to 270 assessed credits including those earned for the first undergraduate degree.

Students in graduate programs may not receive financial aid if they have exceeded the time limits published in Academic Programs for the appropriate master's, doctoral, or professional program. 

Master's students have five calendar years to complete the degree, with exceptions for Arts & Letters, Human Medicine, Natural Science, Nursing, Osteopathic Medicine, Social Science, and Veterinary Medicine, which allow six calendar years, and Master of Fine Arts in the College of Arts and Letters, which allows nine.

Doctoral degrees require the completion of all requirements within eight calendar years of the first course taken for the doctoral program.

Consequences of failure to meet this requirement: Students who reach their maximum credits or time limit without completing the degree will be denied further financial aid as a student at that level. For example, if as an undergraduate you exceed 180 credits, you will be denied further aid until the degree is conferred (you graduate). You then regain eligibility for a second undergraduate or a graduate degree. If you are attempting a master's degree and reach the five year eligibility limit, you would be denied further aid until a master's degree has been conferred, at which time you would regain eligibility for a second master's, doctoral, or professional degree.

Completion Rate

Students must complete 67% of all assessed credits (all courses taken at Michigan State University).  Assessed credits are defined as credits you are enrolled in at the end of the official drop and add period, even if you drop those credits later.  Completion of these credits means you receive grades for them, even if the grades are not passing. Repeated courses count the same as do first-time courses for purposes of calculating completion rate.

Completion rate is initially calculated on the semester grading date, where the semester courses are added to your previous course record to determine if your overall completion rate is above 67%.

All courses, including incomplete credits, repeated credits, and remedial credits are evaluated for completion rate.  Incomplete courses will have a grade (I, ET, or DF) at that time, but for financial aid purposes they are not considered complete until you receive a final grade. If you do not complete the coursework, it could change the Completion Rate and you may have your SAP status updated, resulting in a Warning or Denial status for the current semester of enrollment.

Consequences of failure to meet this requirement: Students who fail to complete 67% percent of their cumulative assessed credits will be placed on warning for one semester. Failure to restore a 67% cumulative completion rate in the next enrolled semester will result in aid denial until the cumulative completion rate is brought above 67%. Semesters of non-attendance are not counted in this calculation. Courses dropped after the end of the regular drop and add period are counted as courses the student has failed to complete.

Excessive Withdrawals

Students may not withdraw more than 3 semesters during their attendance and still retain their federal or MSU financial aid.

Consequences of failure to meet this requirement: Students who have withdrawn three times will be warned. A fourth withdrawal will result in denial of further aid.

GPA Requirements

Students must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) sufficient to meet University graduation requirements. For undergraduate students, this is a minimum GPA of 2.00. Graduate students must have a minimum GPA of 3.00.

GPA is calculated at the end of the semester as of the date that grades are due in. All graded credits, including repeated and remedial credits, are counted for GPA purposes.  If a student has incomplete coursework at the time that grades are due in, those courses are not counted as part of the GPA calculation, as an incomplete grade (I, ET, or DF) doesn't count for GPA.  Since the student has to finish the coursework and get a grade by the midterm of the following semester, OFA will look at the final grade and see if it affects the GPA.  If it changes the GPA, the student will have their SAP status updated, which may result in a Warning or Denial status for the current semester of enrollment.

Incomplete courses which have not been assigned a grade by midterm of the next semester will be treated as failed courses for GPA calculation purposes.

Courses which were graded at the end of the semester but which are changed later by the instructor due to an appeal or an error may change the GPA. This change will be taken into account for Satisfactory Academic Progress at the next monitoring point. A student may contact the Office of Financial Aid earlier if such a change brings them into good standing, a Financial Aid Advisor may reset their SAP status.

GPA requirements as set by the University and the department or college of the major are online.  Undergraduates see Academic Programs, undergraduates.  Graduates see Academic Programs, graduate school section.

Consequences of failure to meet this requirement: Students with a cumulative GPA below the standard will be placed on warning. If the cumulative GPA is still below the standard at the end of the next semester of enrollment, the student is denied financial aid until he or she regains the required cumulative minimum GPA.

Determining SAP status

SAP status is determined by the criteria failed as well as the number of consecutive semesters with unsatisfactory progress.

SAP Status Descriptions

For Completion Rate and GPA measures, students who fail to meet satisfactory academic progress standards in one semester will receive one subsequent semester of aid while in Financial Aid Warning status.  At the end of the warning period, a student who still has not met the standards is changed to Financial Aid Denial status.  The student's federal and MSU aid is terminated at this point and is not reinstated unless the student subsequently meets the required standards.

For Time Limit/Maximum Credits and Excessive Withdrawal measures, students who reach their time limit or maximum credit limit, or who withdraw four or more times will be placed in Financial Aid Denial status.

If the student files a successful appeal, the status will be changed to Financial Aid Probation.  The student will be monitored at the end of each semester within the appeal period. If the student follows the plan as outlined, the Financial Aid Probation status will continue until the appeal period ends.  If the student does not follow the stated academic plan, the status will revert to Financial Aid Denial.

A student has a single SAP status each semester.  For example, a student whose SAP status is Financial Aid Warning for failure to meet the GPA requirement at the beginning of a semester could end the semester meeting the GPA requirement but may have failed the 67% Completion Rate requirement during that semester.  The student will begin the next semester in Financial Aid Denial status since the student has failed SAP for two semesters.

Types of aid affected

Students with a Financial Aid Denial SAP status will be denied aid from the following programs:

Affected Aid Programs
  • Federal aid (Pell Grant, Supplemental Grant, TEACH Grant, Work-Study, Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Parent PLUS Loans, Grad PLUS Loans)
  • Any MSU need-based award (Student Aid Grant, Spartan Advantage, MSU Assistance Grant, MSU Program Fee Grant)
  • Any MSU scholarship with a GPA or SAP requirement, if the student fails to meet the requirement
  • Any private scholarship with a GPA or SAP requirement, if the student fails to meet the requirement  

Students who have an aid offer for a future semester may receive temporary aid credit through the first full week of that semester, in order to allow the student time to file an appeal. After that date, the credit will be canceled and the student is expected to pay the bill in full if the appeal is not approved.

How to appeal

Students may appeal the denial of financial aid. Documentation of circumstances is required. Students must include the following as part of their appeal:

  • An explanation of why they failed to meet the SAP requirements (documentation may be requested depending upon circumstances)
  • Specific information about what has changed to allow them to meet the requirements in the future
  • A statement from their academic advisor supporting the appeal
  • An academic plan that has been agreed upon by the student and academic official and that has been approved by the Dean or authorized designee

Students should be prepared to seek other options if the appeal is not approved.

Students wishing to appeal should use the online SAP Appeal Form. If you cannot access this online form, contact the Office of Financial Aid. Students whose appeals are approved will have aid offers reinstated or finalized based upon federal regulations and availability of funds. If funds are exhausted, students may have a smaller award total than expected.

An appeal must be received by the midterm date for the semester in which the student is seeking reinstatement of aid. Late appeals will not be processed.

SAP appeal tips

Tips on completing the appeals forms are available below:

Retroactive changes

If errors in grades are corrected or withdrawals are granted retroactively and these changes affect SAP, the Office of Financial Aid will allow consideration of aid restoration for a maximum of one semester prior to the current term.  However, aid will not be restored across aid years (a new aid year begins each fall semester).

DUED holds

When a Dean of Undergraduate Education (DUED) hold is placed on a student’s record, eligibility for financial aid is immediately lost. Aid eligibility is restored when the hold is removed. For more details, please refer to the Integrity of Scholarship and Grades section of the Registrar's website.

Continuing at MSU after aid is denied

Unless academically dismissed by MSU, students denied financial aid generally may continue attending using private aid sources or by funding their education themselves.

Frequently asked questions

For more information, see our Satisfactory Academic Progress FAQ.