Students with Children

Students with children have unique challenges and needs. This page is designed to help those students find a way to cover some of their additional costs.

The first step is to apply for financial aid by filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This provides our office with the basic data we need to assess your ability to pay for your education and support your family.

Once MSU has received your FAFSA data, we will make an initial aid offer. It is important to note that this initial offer only takes into account your expenses as a student - it does not cover family expenses or other costs such as day care. To cover these additional expenses, you must talk to a financial aid advisor about filing a Special Condition Application.

Financial aid for student parents

  • MSU Child Care Grant: The MSU Child Care Grant program provides funds to students with children to assist in meeting the cost of licensed child care during the school year. Applications are available 30 days prior to each semester.
  • Spartan Kids Child Care Grant: The Spartan Kids Child Care Grant is available to undergraduate, graduate, and international students who demonstrate financial need. Students must be willing to use one of the contracted childcare providers for this program. Applications are made available through the Student Parent Resource Center.

Additional resources

  • Student Parent Resource Center: The Student Parent Resource Center at Michigan State University provides and directs students to services and community resources to assist in balancing responsibilities between school, work, and family.
  • Student Parents on a Mission (SPOM): A support organization for Michigan State University students with children.