Loans for Medical Students
Several special federal loan programs are available to medical students. You can be considered for these programs only if you provide your parent's income and asset information on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Federal loan programs
- Primary Care Loan (PCL) — Aid IDs: PHM, UPHM, POM, UPOM
PCL has a 5% has a fixed interest rate for CHM and COM students enrolled full-time with proven financial need. Students who borrow through this program sign a contract that they will practice primary care medicine (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, preventive medicine, or osteopathic general practice) until the loan is fully repaid; otherwise the interest rate changes from 5% to 7%. If you are interested in this loan you should contact the medical student advisory staff regarding your intent to practice primary care medicine.
- Loans for Disadvantages Students (LDS) — Aid IDs: LHM, ULHM, LOM, ULOM, LVM, ULVM
LDS has a 5% fixed interest rate for medical students enrolled full-time with proven financial need who meets the federal definition of coming from a disadvantaged environment
- Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) — Aid IDs: HVM, UHVM
HPSL has a 5% fixed interest rate for veterinary students enrolled full-time with proven financial need
The Office of Financial Aid (OFA) determines eligibility based on proven financial need and availability of funds. These programs are awarded in late June after your initial aid awarding.
Exception for Primary Care Loan (PCL) consideration
A student can be considered independent and not be required to provide parental income and asset information on the FAFSA, if they will be age 24 before January 1 of the current aid year and copies of parent’s federal tax returns are provided for the preceding three years showing the student was not claimed as an exemption. An independent student’s eligibility for PCL funding will be based on the student’s household size and resources according to the federal policy.)
- Must be enrolled full-time for loan disbursement
- Interest is subsidized by the federal government during in-school, grace and approved deferment periods
- Grace period of 12 months after enrollment ceases
- Deferment and forbearance options available
- Standard 10 year repayment schedule; minimum $40/month payment
Beginning Fall 2010, there is a new process for receiving these loans. Please see our Health Professions Loan page for additional information.